Princeton band teacher Steven Olson a 3-day champ on ‘Jeopardy!’ – Shaw Local


Steven Olson, band teacher at Princeton High School and Logan Junior High, met Jeopardy host Ken Jennings (left) when he taped a show in August in Los Angeles. Olson is a 3-day champ heading into the airing of the Wedensday’s Sept. 24 show. (Photo provided by Steven Olson)
Steven Olson, a band instructor from Princeton High School and Logan Junior High School, has won his first three games on the popular TV game show “Jeopardy!”
Olson fulfilled a lifelong dream to be invited to appear on “Jeopardy” in Los Angeles, which Shaw Local News Network was first to report Sept. 9.
He first appeared Friday, Sept. 19, winning $19,602. The PHS band surprised him by playing a rendition of the “Jeopardy!” theme song at halftime of Friday’s football game.
On Monday’s show, he finished first with a winning prize of $26,849.
In his latest show, on Tuesday, Olson ran his total up to $27,800 before settling for a first-place prize of $10,638 after losing out on $17,162 in the Final Jeopardy round.
His three-day cash prize total stands at $57,089.
Olson was scheduled to appear at 4:30 p.m. Wednesday on KWQC Channel 6 on the Princeton Comcast network.
Kevin has been sports editor of the BCR since 1986 and is Sports Editor of Putnam County Record. Was previously sports editor of the St. Louis Daily News and a regular contributor for the St. Louis Cardinals Magazine. He is a member of the IBCA and Illinois Valley Hall of Fames. He is one of 4 sportswriters from his tiny hometown Atlanta, IL

source

Princeton Park District aims for grant to build all-inclusive playground at Zearing Park – Shaw Local


The Princeton Park District announced plans for an all-inclusive playground at Zearing Park, designed to provide a welcoming space for children of all abilities. (Tommy Rose for Shaw Media)
The Princeton Park District announced plans for an all-inclusive playground at Zearing Park, designed to provide a welcoming space for children of all abilities.
This project will be submitted for funding through the Illinois Department of Natural Resources Open Space Land Acquisition and Development Grant Program.
The project includes installation of all-inclusive playground equipment, safety-focused playground underlayment and a sidewalk to connect the playground to existing pathways, ensuring full accessibility.
The total estimated cost is $431,965, with funding split 50/50 between the park district and the OSLAD Grant Program. The Princeton Park District, with the help of Community Funding and Planning Services, is preparing a comprehensive grant application for submission by Sept. 13.
The park district has a strong track record with the OSLAD Grant Program, having successfully completed two previous projects in 2006 and 2008 on time and within budget, the park district said in a news release. This history of success, combined with the community’s support, positions the Zearing Park improvement project for success, the park district said.
If awarded, a small group of community members will collaborate with the park district along with Community Funding and Planning Services and a representative from Play&Park Structures to fine-tune the design, ensuring the best possible selection of equipment. Pending approval, construction is expected to begin in the spring.
“The current playground equipment at Zearing Park, installed in 1992, has impressively outlasted its expected lifespan and served the community well,” said Tammy Lange, executive director of the Princeton Park District. “However, after more than three decades of service, it is time for a much-needed upgrade to ensure the safety and enjoyment of our community’s children for years to come.
“Our goal with the Zearing Park improvement project is to create an inclusive and enjoyable space for all children in the community and anyone who visits the park. By incorporating all-inclusive playground equipment, we’re ensuring that every child, regardless of ability, has a place to play and thrive. We are excited to work with community members and Play&Park Structures to bring this vision to life and are grateful for the support we’ve received so far.”
Shaw Local News Network provides local news throughout northern Illinois

source

Princeton man is the 1st to use OSF’s new proton beam therapy in Peoria – Shaw Local


Tim Scott, of Princeton, stands next to OSF’s proton beam radiation therapy machine. (Photo provided by Matt Sheehan)
After officially opening in February, a Princeton man was welcomed at the OSF HealthCare Cancer Institute in Peoria as its first proton beam radiation therapy patient.
Tim Scott, 70, is the first patient to receive the treatment at OSF. Scott traveled from Princeton after receiving a prostate cancer diagnosis. He said he searched for the best cancer care nearby as soon as he was given the news about his diagnosis on Valentine’s Day 2024. The OSF Cancer Institute was recommended to him by his care team.
Scott said he wanted to get treatment quickly, knowing his family history with prostate cancer.
“It had taken my father away and my great-uncle,” Scott said. “I felt fortunate that the proton therapy was in the immediate area.”
On Monday, April 1, Scott began the first of 28 treatments in his cancer journey. He said the appointment was quick, and he felt comfortable with the medical team.
“(The OSF) staff had me laughing, which I like,” Scott said in a news release from OSF. “We had a good time this morning. Everybody walked out and said ‘you’re the man! You’re the first guy!’ Everything went really well and it’s an amazing treatment.”
Scott will receive treatments Monday through Friday until he reaches 28 treatments. He said the treatment itself was no more than 10 minutes.
The OSF Cancer Institute is the only center outside of Chicago and St. Louis offering proton therapy in the region. James McGee, MD, founding director of the OSF Cancer Institute, said this treatment is less invasive than current treatments being offered.
“It’s where a packet of energy with positively charged proton particles is used to go to one spot of the tumor and treat that spot of the tumor,” Dr. McGee said in an OSF news release. “We’re able to go anywhere in the tumor. Very little dose on the entry side, and no dose on the exit side. Using all of that, we can corral the radiation into the tumor and reduce the dose of radiation to the normal and healthy tissues that we don’t want to get incidental radiation, like the lymph nodes and things where the immune response is being mounted to that cancer.”
The therapy is powered by a Varian ProBeam 360-degree System cyclotron. McGee said the ability to rotate the system 360 degrees allows the technology to target cancer from any angle.
“We know the biological effect of protons is often felt to be at least 10% higher than with X-ray therapy,” McGee said. “That gets factored into treatment planning. We also know the ability to give these treatments in a way that doesn’t affect the immune system, allows the actual radiation treatment to be more effective. We’re seeing more and more evidence that there is better tumor control in certain situations. People are not failing that would’ve failed at those doses with X-ray therapy. Also, we’re not generating secondary cancers from the radiation.”
It is estimated the OSF Cancer Institute will treat upwards of 3,700 cancer patients annually.
Proton therapy is used most frequently for head and neck, prostate, spine, breast, sarcoma, brain and esophagus cancers. It can also be a retreatment after prior radiation.
To learn more about cancer services at the OSF Cancer Institute, call 1-844-OSF-4-HOPE or 1-844-673-4467.
Dr. James McGee, of OSF, demonstrates the ProBeam 360. (Photo provided by Matt Sheehan)
Shaw Local News Network provides local news throughout northern Illinois

source

Tiny Tigers Preschool accepting applications for 2025-26 school year – Shaw Local


Tiny Tigers Preschool, part of Princeton High School’s Child Care Occupations class, is accepting applications for the 2025-2026 school year as it begins its 35th year.
Tiny Tigers Preschool, part of Princeton High School’s Child Care Occupations class, is accepting applications for the 2025-26 school year as it begins its 35th year.
The preschool serves as a hands-on learning lab, where high school juniors and seniors gain experience working with young children while exploring careers in early childhood education. Under the supervision of instructor Jennifer Wagner, students plan and lead developmental activities for preschoolers.
Sessions run from 8:05 to 10:35 a.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from early November through mid-May. Families may choose any combination of days that fits their schedule. The cost is $2 a day.
Applications are accepted year-round for children from age 3 until they enter kindergarten. Tiny Tigers follows the Princeton High School calendar for holidays and breaks.
Applications are available at the Princeton High School main office or by emailing jennifer.wagner@phs-il.org. For information, call 815-875-3308, ext. 154.
Shaw Local News Network provides local news throughout northern Illinois

source

Princeton Youth Soccer League Fall Soccer Registration – Shaw Local


Princeton Youth Soccer League is holding online registration for its fall season through July 31. (Scott Anderson – sanderson@shawmedia.com)
Princeton Youth Soccer League is holding online registration for its fall season through July 31.
PYSL is for children aged four to 14. Players must be four years old by Aug. 31, 2025, and no older than 14 as of September 1, 2012, to enroll. PYSL is located in Princeton. The league accepts players from all surrounding communities.
The season runs from Sept. 8 to Oct. 18. Practices begin in mid-August.
Players can register at www.pyslsoccer.com and will need to create an account if they do not currently have one.
For additional information, contact Director Jeremy Whitfield at 815-866-7966, email director@pyslsoccer.com or follow Princeton Youth Soccer League on Facebook.
Maribeth M. Wilson has been a reporter with Shaw Media for two years, one of those as news editor at the Morris Herald-News. She became a part of the NewsTribune staff in 2023.

source

Princeton IL band teacher dethrones ‘Jeopardy!’ champion – KWQC


PRINCETON, Ill. (KWQC) – This longtime band teacher at Princeton High School and Logan Jr. High made his national television debut as a contestant onJeopardy!“ — and won.
Who is Steven Olson?
The lifelong fan of the iconic quiz show taped his episode in August in Los Angeles, and family and friends finally got a chance to see his success when it aired Friday on KWQC.
He appeared on Quad Cities Live ahead of the broadcast and viewers can catch the guest interview in the attached video.
Getting on “Jeopardy!” is no small feat — Olson completed a multi-step audition process that included online testing, live proctoring, and a Zoom audition before being selected for the contestant pool.
Olson says the experience was fast-paced and far more intense than playing along at home. He spent weeks preparing, studying past clues and practicing buzzer timing.
The episode will be available for streaming on Hulu and Peacock the following day, Sept. 20.
Copyright 2025 KWQC. All rights reserved.

source

1 43 44 45 46 47 854